Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Starting Point


For too long I waited until everything was in place.  I was convinced that I had to have everything figured out -- perfect even -- before I could start writing: I needed to define my viewpoint and my subject-matter; I needed to decide how I was going to refer to myself, my son, my husband, our dogs; I needed to understand how to upload pictures and not let others steal those pictures;  I needed a name for my blog.  The last question, the name, has stopped me in my tracks before I started.  Why is it that I needed a name that I felt perfectly encapsulated what I wanted to say before I started trying to say it?  I felt like I needed to define myself.  But here is the truth:  I'm still figuring it out.  I am still trying to understand my own voice, trying to hear what it is that I have to say. 
So, here is what I have decided.  I will start writing and let the name flow from what I write.  Maybe the name will come to me tomorrow, maybe next week. It will be an adventure?
My voice is here.  I am ready to start sharing what drums around in my head all day.  I am ready to share the struggles that I know are not unique to me, but that seem lonely and without a like-minded community.  Perhaps there is a community out there, and my writing will help me find others out there like me.  I hope so. 

The starting point:  I am going to give voice to what it means to be an AP (attachment-parenting), crunchy/granola/tree-hugging (or whatever other term you want to throw in there), simplicity-focused mother and wife -- while also wearing a suit and heels to work everyday to be a lawyer.  I'm not going to pretend that I do it all, have it all or have it all figured out.  This is just my perspective, my voice, my successes and the inevitable (but hopefully not too frequent) falling flat on my face.  

Here's to the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment